Ed Waynick d/b/a

Regional Process Servers Academy

Regional Process Servers Academy

"Training the Professionals Since 1992"

Q. What is “Process Service”?

 A. Our constitutions, both state and federal, guarantee us the right to a hearing (trial) before our liberty or our property is taken from us. To insure that an individual has proper notice that a claim has been filed against him or her the law requires that he/she receive proper notice of the pending action.

 Q. How is the notice given?

 A. Generally a civil citation or summons is personally delivered to the defendant by a sheriff, constable, or an individual authorized by the Court or a person Certified by the Texas Supreme Court Judicial Branch Certification Commission.

 Q. How does an individual become an authorized person?

 A.  In Texas the Supreme Court has made changes to the Rules of Civil Procedure that establish a vehicle for the approval of individuals to serve from the Texas Courts. Please visit the JBCC web and review the documents posted there. In general the requirements are:

1) Obtain a criminal history check from DPS;

2) Obtain a certificate of training from an authorized source; (RPSA is an authorized source)

3) Submit an application to the Supreme Court.

Q. Where to I apply for appointment as a process server?

 A.  Judicial Branch Certification Commission for state-wide appointment or to the individual court for an appointment to deliver process issued by that court only. Many courts will not grant the appointment but will direct the applicant to the Supreme Court web. The Judicial Branch Certification Commission processes the applications. Be sure to visit their web.

Q. What law governs the service of civil process?

 A. A multitude of Rules, Codes, and Statutes govern service depending upon who and what is being served. The Texas Rules of Civil Procedure is the primary source. You may find a link to them on the links page of this web. Pay particular attention to Rules 6, 16, 103, 106, and 107.

 Q.  How do I get papers to serve?

A.  Each individual must create his own list of clients. Lawyers, Para-Legals, Legal Secretaries and other legal professionals are sources for business.

 The courts will not provide you with process to serve. We find that in most cases an individual will be more successful if he/she starts by serving process for an established company. There are many such companies in Texas. A comprehensive list may be found at http://www.texasprocess.org/ and/or www.napps.com. RPSA dos not employ process servers and we are not an employment agency.

Q. How much do I charge for serving a document?

A. The service fee varies by area of the state. Your District Clerk can provide you with a fee schedule for his/her county sheriff and constables. You may charge whatever fee you and your client agree on.

If you have specific questions that are not answered here please feel free to email them to us. We will answer as soon as time permits. Please thoroughly review this web site before sending an email.

We strongly urge you to attend a training session before you attempt to serve process. Please review our page regarding our training classes.

Please visit our FAQ pages.